Saturday, March 26, 2005

April meeting full up

The April meeting on mobile strategy filled up in about 24 hours. If you didn't get an Evite, you aren't on the list -- please send email to invites@106miles.org to rectify the situation.

We tried a tweak this time, which was to give working engineers a few extra hours to RSVP before letting in former/non engineers. This might be a little controversial, so let me try to explain. When I first got the idea for 106, I had the notion that there are already quite a few formal and informal networking groups for businesspeople. If you want to found a company because you're a good organization builder and evaluator of technology, I figure you can join the Churchill Club or the Grapevine event or SVASE or any of a number of others. But if you're a humble engineer who dreams of someday doing your own startup based on a technical innovation, and wants to learn as much as you can about the venture-creation process beforehand, preferably in a friendly low-pressure environment -- where can you go? To me, that's the core mission of 106 Miles.

Yes, we also want diversity of experience. Yes, it's difficult to pick out the future technical innovators based solely on their current job title. Yes, there are plenty of ventures that involve technology but don't necessarily embody a technical innovation. All of that could be true, and I'm still going to try to ensure there are a majority of working engineers at every 106. Thanks for being patient as we continue to experiment with different methods of getting the right mix.

13 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

So as someone who's not going to make it live to the next one or two meetings, let me second a suggestion from before: stream it (audio or video, whatever you can get working). Even better would be to get the IRCbot from #joiito and let us heckle the speakers virtually.

I was a virtual fly on the wall at foocamp one year for a couple of sessions, and it was actually pretty fun, though I don't know how many video streams that iBook could have really supported.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Bill said...

I completely agree with Derek and at the same time disagree (hey, there's 2 sides to my brain!).

On the Agree side, as on of the lesser brethen (product manager) who barely squeeked in either a live or delayed QT would have been great.

On the Disagree side, I'm a huge fan of audience participation and I doubt that would be practicle in this case. Another "Disagree" point, Jeff Winner commented at the March meeting that we were all sworn to secrecy which would be pretty hard if it was captured in bits..

B-)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I am so glad I found your blog! Great information!

I have a site about make money on computer

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSS Blast instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Web. Click here: rss directories.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Dominicans resources said...

::FREE BLOGS AND FREE WORDPRESS BLOG HOSTING - CREATE UNLIMITED BLOGS NOW ALL FREE ::

Free online blogging hosting speicalist

5:30 PM  
Blogger KaptainMoney said...

Cool blog about domain name. I'm
new to this whole blog thing but I have a
website basically about

href="http://www.kaptainmoney.com/yahoo-web-hosting.html">domain name

Check it out sometime...

3:31 AM  
Blogger tipsonrelationships said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about computer home based business in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about computer home based business.
Thank you
TWP Admin

5:16 AM  
Blogger TWPAdmin said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about internet home based business idea in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about internet home based business idea.
Thank you
TWP Admin

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a best web hosting company site/blog. It pretty much covers best web hosting company related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Wordpress rocks, I recently switched.. I'm trying to find a cool template that I like.. so far i like the one i have now - anyway, my blog's url is www.theblahbrain.com I've got a page rank of 4 [if you know anything about page ranks and search engine optimization] and 309 pages indexed in google.. unfortunately it isn't more than that... anyway...you've got a great blog here! -Paul

5:05 AM  
Blogger Marian said...

Hi, thanks for this very informative blog. I'm a fan of making my residual income from home. I'm thankful for every information that would increase my sales...Thanks again! residual profits

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home