Thursday, April 28, 2005

Hiring is Obsolete

Paul Graham will be giving a talk at 306 Soda Hall in Berkeley on why hiring is obsolete on May 2 at 6pm. The abstract reflects the entrepreneurial engineering way of 106 Miles attendees:
Most CS undergrads hope to get a good job when they graduate. But as the age of startup founders creeps downward, I foresee an alternative path for the most ambitious: instead of going to work for Microsoft, start a startup and make Microsoft buy it to get you.

This change will do more than make some young hackers richer. It will fuse recruitment with product development. Instead of applying for a job and then being told what to work on, you join the company as a complete development team, with a beta version. Results: (a) a shift in power from companies to hackers, and (b) an increase in the rate at which new technology gets developed.

Obviously this new model will be a better deal for the best hackers. But I think it will also be better for the Microsofts. The few tens of millions extra that they'll pay will be a bargain for what they'll get.
As a fun game, replace the word "Microsoft" in the above passage with any of your favorite Silicon Valley companies...

And then, as if he read our minds, on May 4 at PARC in Palo Alto at 7pm, Paul Graham will give a talk on how to sell a startup. I wonder how many people will be attending both talks next week as Paul circles the Bay Area...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger sleepwalk resources said...

Build a free fun stuff blog! New free wordpress blogs with instant activation and set up. Join the free blogging evolution today and visit Clubblogs.com

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reference and reading. sedu hairstyles

11:11 AM  
Blogger Plasma TElevision Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about Plasma Television that covers Plasma Television related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous undergrad said...

Hi ifindkarma,

As a result of reading your blog "Hiring is Obsolete", I think you will discover my site on test preps a great help.

To illustrate our diverse range of tests, here are some of the latest search terms that located our site ... praxis high school english test prep, michigan mechanic certification test prep, real estate license exam prep test, sat essay test prep questions, test prep for aap exam, isee test prep, sat test prep dallas, massage flash cards and customize flash cards.

We have over 200 study prep guides and aids to help you sail through your exams without weeks and months of endless studying.

Best Regards
Emily

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home